Tuesday, December 10, 2013

10? Things I want my kids to know






Not really an accurate title but it's catchy.






Prologue: I have been working on this list for a long time now and have found it too overwhelming to put it all together. So I will start in bite size chunks. We will call it a living document, as I find myself adding to it every time I sit down to finish it. The list already has grown to over tweny things and as I try to finish each one more ideas keep coming. I will just keep posting more from time to time. So here we go... J
 
1.       I love you!!! How can I express more fully what those three little words mean to me? When I think of you, my heart swells. I feel a kind of power or electricity deep inside of me that warms my soul and gives purpose to my life. When you cry, I cry; both in happy tears and sad ones too. You are in my thoughts, and those thoughts carry me through the day. I pray for you every day. Every good and praiseworthy thing (if any) I have done since becoming a father, I have done for or because of you. I know you can’t understand how fully it encompasses me now, but wait, you will. I feel the pressure of being a father every day. When you were younger and so dependent on me it was greater, almost overwhelming sometimes causing a panic. But it has lessened as you have gotten older and are branching out on your own. Every misstep you have made I would blame myself, knowing I should have taught you more and better. I felt when you were younger a panic to make sure you were perfect, hence my strictness. I knew that when God had sent you to me that you were in fact perfect, and if you were returned to him any less than that, it would be my fault for not parenting you correctly. (A pretty crazy thought, right?) In spite of me, you have grown into such wonderful men and women, that I swell with pride at the very thought of you. I am well pleased with you and I love you!!!
2.       Your Father in heaven loves you and you are known to him. Each one of you has a personal relationship with your Father in heaven. You may have forgotten how strong it is, but He hasn’t. I know this because He, Himself has impressed it on my mind. At times in each of your life's it has been witnessed to my soul as I have watched you grow or given you Fathers blessings. He is willing to help you. He hears and answers your prayers. If you haven’t heard his answers, then listen and be still. He is talking to you. He longs to be included in your life on every level. Please talk to Him and include Him in everything you do.
3.       You are tough, and you can do hard things. Case Family rule #1 “Life is hard but I’m tough” there may be times in life when you get down and feel you can’t go on. Heck maybe you don’t want to go on. It’s those times we should reflect and recite our mantra “Life is hard but I’m tough” say it to yourself over and over till it takes root and grows in your soul. Not as some prideful thing but as a comforting knowledge that you can and will, with God’s help make it. This does kind of go with #11; life is not fair and #18; there is no cure for self-pity. Being tough or brave or happy is a choice. I would encourage you to choose these rather than their alternatives; but make no mistake it is always your choice.  Tough is an action word, you can’t be tough while you’re doing nothing. When we chose to be tough we must look for ways in which we can be proactive in times of discouragement. You are capable of being men and woman of action in tough times. You are awesome!
        Awesome: inspiring an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, or fear; causing or inducing awe

 





To be continued…


No comments:

Post a Comment